Wednesday, July 20, 2005

On swearing

My first foray into blogs opened my eyes to swear words. Not that I wasn't aware of them, but I've never seen them being used in such fluorish and so publicly.

Some Hokkien ones:-
KNNCCB
Nabeh
CB

English one:-
F*ck

The above appear on many popular blogs.

I first swore "CB" when I was 4/5 years old. There was a moth (or was it a flying cockroach) that got into our flat fluttering away. My brother and I were afraid and we thought swearing at it might scare it away. I still remember my face felt hot when swearing, flushed over the fact I was brave enough to say these words when my mum had said they were "BAD WORDS". We swore and we swore until my mum came out from her bath. Needless to say we got whacked.

Today, my face still flushes when these words slip off my tongue.

There are times however when these words had the advantage over decent ones which did not sufficently convey the message. I modified some of them so that I could swear under my breathe, not feel hot, don't offend anyone and still make my point.

For example:

F**k = Fick
S**t = Shito or shitake
TA MAH DE = TIMIDE

It's OK to vent frustrations in this way but I believe in gratifying oneself without hurting/insulting anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me your thoughtshapes too!