I was in Ho Chi Minh the other day and resting on the hotel bed. I raised up my arms for the occasional check of my breast. I felt a hard lump in my right breast. I was so shocked that my fingers leapt off and seconds later returned to reconfirm. I swallowed and paused to think that I had postponed buying the women's insurance for too long and I have THIS. Too late, I thought.
I told my mum at the earliest opportune time after coming back home because she had the most information about this sort of thing. Gynae stuff. She told me if it hurts, it's likely not a tumour/cancer. (Eh, whoever gave her this idea.) She recommended me to get a mammogram at the polyclinic and later decided I should see her gynae instead.
The first thing I did was to check the net for info. and found the Breast Cancer Foundation.
The pink website tells me that breasts under the age of 40 may be too dense for the mammogram to detect anything. Instead, an ultrasound is recommended. They also tell me that:-
"Nine out of 10 breast lumps are not cancer. Most lumps detected under the age of 30 are benign."
I went to the polyclinic today and requested to see a female doctor. While waiting, I had visions of myself going under the knife and hurting at the chest area, and grimacing at how an A cup can go further down to no cup at all. The good doctor felt both of my breasts and told me exactly what this website told me. I got a referral to the hospital for a breast screening, which I predict is likely to be the ultrasound.
I have always taken what fate throws at me in stride, I just hate having my family worry about me. Please let me be part of the 90%.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me your thoughtshapes too!