That saturday after work, I visited the library for the first time this year. Automatically, my eyes went for the romance bestsellers shelf. (I like easy reading most of the time.) After picking up a tiny little cheesy chinese romance novel, guilt washed over me and I forced myself to wander over to the local writers' shelf. I chanced upon "The Singapore Story" - an abridged version of the LKY's memoirs.
As for all serious reading, I needed a seat which would be hard to find in a library on a weekend. I stood for a whole fifteen minutes flipping through the first chapter and I got hooked. Seriously. Not the "I-want-to-read-a-serious-book-syndrome." but a burgeoning interest in the encounters of our Senior Minister.
Two weeks later, I bought the full version of the volume II of his memoir AND "Singapore - An Air-conditioned Nation" - just to get a balance. I wanted to know what Cherian George had to say of Singapore politics of which the Senior Minister played a pivotal role in.
I got hooked because this is a story about my country, how she was born, raised and groomed. Singapore's story is an extraordinary story made possible by her founding father.
The Senior Minister is just an ordinary man who possessed extraordinary brains, vision, grit and luck. We are also constantly reminded that he had a circle of comrades who were willing to pursue their common goal of independence to the end. He is not a man everyone will like, but a political leader whom everyone should admire. (There are many things I can learn from...)
Reading is still in progress...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me your thoughtshapes too!