Thursday, July 21, 2011

Operation V

I have continued to mentor V. The second time of this session that I met her, she had a meltdown. I will just attribute it in this blog to the major changes that have occurred in her life. I know there are so many things a child of 11 years can take/understand, but without unfailing family support, everything seems hopeless. "Give up, give up..." she says. I have not heard so many of that phrase uttered in one conversation.

In my previous blog postings, readers would know that I have struggled to engage her in learning, only to end up giving her rewards for things she may not have earned/deserved. For a primary five student, she does not have a certain level of competence in her studies, surpisingly, no one seemed to have noticed that and hauled her up for intense study sessions. Granted, her mother did engage a tuition teacher, who did help her initially but the progress lapse after the teacher was unable to tutor her regularly.

I will help her, and intensely hope that she can open her door and help herself too. Saying "can't" , "give up", "go to die" are too negative for an 11 year old. She needs to change to adapt to change. For a kid who is Gen Z, that should not prove difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me your thoughtshapes too!