Thursday, August 18, 2011

Remembering my Solo trip to Tioman (14-16 Aug)

Time and again, life drained my energy and I booked myself a beach crawling trip to Tioman. I reckon no one would want to accompany me on such short notice that I did not bother even asking. As the day draws near, I started to panic when I think of having to sleep alone at night. I like my life, excuse me, even though it makes me sick sometimes. I bought two door stoppers and searched high and low for the personal alarm that mum bought for me 10 years ago. It works like this: once the plug is pulled, a loud "whee whee whee" sound blares out supposedly scaring off the attacker. It still works!

Only a few resort people, ok, make that three, reconfirmed my solo stay. "Only one?" They asked. To the reception and the buffet people, I can hardly lie, but to the chit chatty beach towel rental guy, I told him that the rest went diving.

Despite me telling the reception that I wanted to stay "close to the lobby", she gave me a pondok at the borders of the resort, street lighting was inadequate and I always dashed back after dinner (about 8pm), checking over my shoulders for "followers". Anyway, I was safe and I shall leave it as that.

Ok, with the little upsets out of the way, I got to say the trip was fabulous. It was a rest, rest and relax trip, hence a dearth of activities involved. I snuck in only a 20min snorkelling trip since it was provided for in the package. My typical full day (only one such day, anyway) was bathe, breakfast, rent beach towel, "chop" deck chair with shade, read books, nap on and off, swim a little (in the oh so clear waters), lunch, massage at the inhouse spa, bathe, watch tv, dinner, read some more then zzz at 9pm.

Looking at the sea and the almost-empty beach really made my day. It was quiet, sunny yet breezy. I hardly sweat. (My friend told me Singapore was enduring a thunder storm.) The sound of the gentle waves lapping on the shores soothed my tangled nerves, the tinkling sounds of the dead corals knocking against each other as the waves recede marveled me. I became calm and simply happier.

This blog post shall remind me of this seaside therapy I can call upon when I need it. High recommended!!

2 comments:

  1. This is a very unique trip, if I have the courage, I will embark on one too. There is just a sense of peacefulness isn't it? I don't know how to describe it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, agreed. It is a breakaway, better than my other vacations where I packed the intinerary to the brim. Just book and don't think too much. Of course choose better resorts/hotels for better security.

    ReplyDelete

Show me your thoughtshapes too!