Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What party?



This was my bedtime reading and I wished I had it in my bag the whole time instead of another lighter and thinner book (which warrants a post of its own). All the time I was reading this, I could not decide to classify it as the 101 module for Intro to Modern China or "Chinese news you didn't have time for" finally in condensed form. Now reaching the end, I find it to be both and more. It appeals to this reader's need for the author's close encounters with the country and her people in question which is not unlike overhearing gossips of the most popular celebrity from the paparazzi (no offence intended though). 

It took me a while to decipher the title. Initially I was taken aback, I thought that this author is out to court trouble! I took "party" to mean the Chinese Communist Party" (CCP). To predict the consequences of its demise, well, I dare say farewell to ever returning to China! Then, in the middle of the book, I finally caught on, it can also mean what's next after The Olympic Games Extravanganza! Clever title, I must say, it is a double entendre. 

Highly recommended!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me your thoughtshapes too!