One day, my mum pestered me to drive her down to the jewellery shop to view the 0.83ct diamond ring. Yes, it was gorgeous, gorgeously bright and stinging on the eyes. I probably am one of the few females in this world who doesn't care about diamonds. I mean, they are really pretty and can be really mighty strong ego-boosters, but well, I can't afford them - end of story.
Haha. Seriously, if I cannot afford something, I just chuck it in the corner of my brain. I start to get bored with the thing as it is out of my reach and it's unproductive to think about it.
S$5.5K is a lot of $$$ for a really bright and hard stone.
What happened to the penny-pinchng mum? Well, she has always liked diamonds, but like me it's always at one little corner of her brain. Now, with her new-found friends (not really new but she befriended diamond-lover friends 4 years ago since we moved to this estate.), she has acquired a refined (=expensive) taste in diamonds. G-colour and F-colour sprouts out of her mouth like the way a cook speaks of the ingredients in his/her recipes. By the way, don't ask me what the different colours mean.
The influence of friends do affect one's decisions. The cajoling, the camaraderie, the feeling of closeness pushes one across our own boundaries. We gain courage in numbers. Everything seems all the more OK/correct if there is someone else doing it as well, more so if that someone is a close buddy or someone we admire etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me your thoughtshapes too!