
Call it intuition, third eye, sixth sense, whatever, I think I have this "feel" about people I meet. I know on the onset whether I will like them eventually or not. However, I always tell myself that appearances are deceiving and I should not be too hasty to judge. Hence, I will give full marks for the person I first meet and start from there. Sad to say, my "feel" proves true most of the time.
Maybe, it's not exactly sixth sense, I thought, there must be some mannerism, facial expressions, attire etc that trigger this judgmental mode. Therefore it must be scientific. The above book told me it is indeed science, a person's need to pacify the limbic brain (honest brain) by touching the neck, the collar bone area..., or an insecure person hunching his shoulders (turtle effect). You can almost always tell when a person is lying. One point the author emphasized is detecting a change in behaviour, which ensures an accuracy in knowing what the other person is feeling from the movements in his feet/hands/torso/shoulders/facial expressions.
It is indeed interesting to note that the level of trustworthiness decreases from our feet to our face. For example, our feet shifts to the exit (planning an escape from a naggy boss) while our face composes an attentive expression. So do look at your feet/limbs, see if they are indeed giving you away!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me your thoughtshapes too!