Thursday, January 16, 2014

Personal Project

Personal Project Challenge: Translation II

On 28th Dec 2013, I said:

I am challenging myself to translate Haruki Murakami's "What I talk about when I talk about running - A Memoir" to Chinese via Philip Gabriel's English translation from Japanese. Can I finish it in Year 2014? Yes, I just gave myself a year. "just" as in a second ago. Hah! Why this, I ask myself. It's because I like this piece by the venerable Murakami who displayed his down-to-earth personality throughout the memoir. It gives me hope that the so-called talents, geniuses are all normal, ordinary people with extraordinary dreams. Dreams do come true if we persist enough, yes, for you and for me.

第一章节 (pg 3&4)

2005年8月5日 。 夏威夷,考艾岛

谁会耻笑Mick Jagger?

今天是2005年8月5日,星期五,我在夏威夷的考艾岛。今天的天气出奇的晴朗,连一朵云都没见得,有如云朵从来都不存在。我在7月末来到这里。 与平常一样,我们租了一间公寓。乘着早晨的凉意,我会在桌前写着各样的事情。就像我写这的样子,写着关于跑步的事,可以写得随心所欲。现在是夏季, 难免炎热。夏威夷虽被称为“永夏之岛”,但它因处于北半球,可以算拥有四季。夏季几乎比冬季热。我常居住在麻省的剑桥。夏日炎炎加上砖块与水泥块的加持,那里的夏天又热又潮湿,就像一种酷刑。 相比之下, 夏威夷的夏天简直是世外桃源。这里无需开冷气,开窗户就行了,总会有清凉的微风吹进来。住在剑桥的人总惊讶我的八月竟然要在夏威夷里度过。他们问:“你为何要在这么炎热的地方度过夏天?” 他们不知所云。不知道东北的季候风让夏天凉快。我们在这儿能悠闲着,能在树下读一本书, 又或者,心血来潮,裸身跳入小湾游泳。

自从来到夏威夷, 我每个礼拜六天,每天跑上一小时。我重拾了过去的生活方式,除非有他事,每天都会跑步。今天我戴着随身听听了预录在MD盘的两本Lovin' Spoonful的专辑,一是“Daydream", 二是“Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful"。

现在,我的目标是延长我所能跑的距离,速度是其次。我所关心的是今天能跑几公里。有些时候,会一时兴起而跑快了,一旦增加速度, 我会缩短跑步的时间。原因是我要把今日的亢奋延续至隔天。

待续。。。pg 5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me your thoughtshapes too!