Thursday, August 04, 2005

Do you Love your job?

I garner from my observation that many of my friends are not happy with their work. (Unless they were too shy to say that they LUV their jobs!!!??)

Some are itching to start a business unrelated with their professions, others are itching to leave their current jobs for greener pastures once ahem, that is, if greener pastures are anywhere to be found.

Is there something wrong with our education system that many youngsters are not getting a full picture of what they will be doing when they graduate from the ivory tower?

For me, that was true. I was naive and thought "interest" will be the guiding light to what I study and what I will be professional at. But, hey, then I realised, real life is really very different. I may do reasonably well in the ivory tower, but out of it, I'm a wreck, like a baby waiting to be battered by the storms. What interest?! Being in a lucrative job is more important!! Know the right people! Be at the right place at the right time! Be street smart!!

I think we spend too much tme studying instead of dwelling in the real world. We were, simply put: too sheltered. Perhaps, if I had the chance to sell lemonade/cake/anything on the streets, study biology in school (w/o having to achieve certain criteria.), spend more time on reading novels (w/o having to take exams for it), have more time to cook up a storm, do charity work, I would have become a different person.

How I wish I was in a swordsman tale where I'm a little unskilled monk sent down from the Wushu Mountain, one who gets beaten up by pugilists until I meet someone who would transfer his/her omnipotent "qi" to me, provided that he/she believes there is potential in me.

Right now, I'm still reading the traffic lights, is it asking me to stop, go or wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me your thoughtshapes too!