Friday, December 15, 2006

Liberate

If you subscribe to NatGeo or have bought the Nov 2006 issue, you would find it hard to miss the Voices article: "Christo and Jeanne-Claude Unwrapped" Interview by Cathy Newman"

I was tickled by the portrait of a red-cladded person tightly wrapped up and tied by equally red twisted cloth. A pair of black-rimmed glasses perched on his cladded nose. He stands in the foreground with high rise buildings and the gloomy skies as the backdrop. The seemingly absurd idea mesmerized me as I spent some time scrutinizing the picture which was taken in 1981. The red is so red and it jars(?) with the serene New York Central Park (the location where the portrait was shot.) Art really does not need updating.

The artists are a couple, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, who have controversial concepts and they have done interesting projects largely to do with the living space, outdoor and indoor. Their projects are humongous and a lot of time and money (totally self-financed) have been spent to realise them. Twenty-over years. I am intrigued, and I have decided to scout the net for pictures of their projects.

I especially liked their interpretation of art as created for the artists themselves first. Self-expression. Hardly a care for anyone else. Freedom. "Absolutely irrational with no justification to exist" - Christo.

Ha. I think I am an artist too!
(Because I am utterly irrational and do not know/like to justify myself.);=)


"Over the River"



"Wrapped Reichstag, Berlin" (1995)





"The Gates, Central Park, New York City" (2005)


"Wrapped Trees"


National Geographic November 2006 issue. - "Voices"
Pictures are taken from the artists' website http://christojeanneclaude.net/otr.html
Do check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me your thoughtshapes too!